- On This Page
- Get a Free Consultation
- What Our Clients Say
“They sent somebody to visit me in the hospital and get my side of the story (totally free). I was assigned Mr. Crawford and told that we had a case. Fast forward about 9 months later and I received literally 14x what the insurance company had offered me. This is after the lawyer and medical fees as well. So basically this was totally free and I barely had to do anything I am so glad I called Marks and Harrison and I will be recommending them to all of my family and friends.”— Robert Smith
Fredericksburg is a gorgeous town to ride around. Whether you are out on your bike to see historic sites such as the Kenmore Plantation, or you are just headed downtown to visit a cafe, you can find many things to see and do while on a bike. Unfortunately, too often, these beautiful bike rides turn into tragedy.
Bicycles are considered to be “vehicles” according to the Virginia Department of Transportation. As such, cyclists have the same rights and responsibilities as motorists. However, not all motorists respect the rights of cyclists and safely share our city streets and rural roads with them. For instance, they may fail to watch for them, or they may leave them little space to maneuver.
If a negligent driver struck you on your bicycle, you have a right to demand full and fair compensation. Our experienced bicycle accident lawyers at Marks & Harrison are here to help you. We can immediately investigate your crash and work hard to hold the negligent driver accountable for the harm that you have suffered. To discuss your case, contact us today through our Fredericksburg office and receive a free consultation.
Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Fredericksburg
Bicyclists are vulnerable and exposed when they are riding. As a result, a cyclist can suffer serious injuries in a collision with a motor vehicle. Sadly, most bicycle accidents are preventable. Most of them would not occur if drivers simply acted in a reasonable manner when they share the road with bicycles. As our Fredericksburg attorneys have observed, many bike crashes result from:
- Failure to yield – Whether a driver is merging, entering an intersection, turning or backing out of a driveway, drivers are expected to yield to cyclists the same way they would for other cars. Too often, they fail to do so.
- Distracted driving – Texting and driving is illegal in Fredericksburg. Still, not all drivers obey the law. When any driver is looking at a phone and not the road, it can easily result in a collision with a cyclist.
- Aggressive driving – When motorists drive aggressively in Fredericksburg, they may speed, tailgate, ignore traffic signals and block bike lanes. All of these reckless and careless actions pose great risks to cyclists’ safety.
- Impaired driving – A driver that is under the influence of drugs or alcohol may lack the mental and physical faculties to avoid getting into a collision with a bicyclist.
- Dooring – A cyclist can suffer serious injuries if a driver opens the door of a parked car directly into the cyclist’s path.
- Defective bicycle or parts – Not all bike accidents can be traced to a driver’s negligence. In some cases, accidents are caused by defective bike parts or by negligent repairs.
If a bicycle accident happens for any of these reasons, the injured cyclist may be eligible to claim compensation for the serious injuries which he or she has suffered.
Common Injuries in Fredericksburg Bicycle Accidents
Cyclists rarely suffer “minor” injuries in crashes. Bikers not only lack protection in an accident, but they also sit higher up and can easily get thrown from their bike when they are hit by a car. For this reason, severe injuries can result from bicycle accidents, including:
- Amputation – Cyclists may suffer loss of limbs immediately at the scene of the collision or later on if amputation is necessary in order save the cyclist’s life.
- Broken bones – Fractures of the arm, wrist, legs or ankles or highly common in bike accidents. The fracture may occur due to the impact or due to falling from the bike.
- Brain injury – Traumatic brain injury (TBI) can range from a mild concussion to a serious skull fracture. These injuries typically last a lifetime. They can even be fatal. A bike helmet can provide crucial protection from these types of injuries.
- Dental injury – Cyclists can hit their face on their handlebars or the ground during an accident. The impact may chip or crack the cyclist’s teeth or cause jaw damage.
- Facial injuries – Broken facial bones, scarring and damage to soft tissue can all result from a bicycle accident.
- Hand and wrist injuries – When cyclists fall off their bikes, or when they are thrown from a bike, they often instinctively put their hands out to catch themselves, which can lead to sprained or fractured hands and wrists.
- Dislocated joints – A cyclist’s joints become dislocated when they try to break their fall, or when a vehicle strikes them.
- Neck injuries – When bikers get into accidents, their neck muscles, tendons and vertebrae can all suffer damage.
- Paralysis – Bicycle accidents are so severe that they can leave a person paralyzed from the waist down or from the neck down.
- Road rash – A cyclist may scrape along an abrasive road surface in a collision, which can lead to serious burn and the risk of infection.
These injuries can be extremely painful and debilitating. They can also be expensive to treat because they require surgery, medication and extensive rehabilitation. They can also prevent victims from being able to return to work for a prolonged period of time or enjoy the same activities as they did before the accident occurred – particularly cycling.
Contact Our Bicycle Accident Attorneys in Fredericksburg
If you have been injured in a bicycle accident that you believe was the fault of a driver or some other party, you need the help of an experienced Fredericksburg bicycle accident attorney. At Marks & Harrison, we will launch an immediate, thorough investigation of your case to determine why your accident occurred and who should be held responsible for it. We will carefully calculate your damages. More importantly, we will pursue the maximum amount of compensation for you through negotiations with the insurance company or, if necessary, presenting your case at trial.
For more than 100 years, our attorneys have protected the rights of injury victims and their families, including victims of bicycle accidents. We can put our experience and resources to work for you right away. Contact us today and schedule a free consultation about your case through our conveniently located Fredericksburg office.