- On This Page
- Get a Free Consultation
- What Our Clients Say
“They sent somebody to visit me in the hospital and get my side of the story (totally free). I was assigned Mr. Crawford and told that we had a case. Fast forward about 9 months later and I received literally 14x what the insurance company had offered me. This is after the lawyer and medical fees as well. So basically this was totally free and I barely had to do anything I am so glad I called Marks and Harrison and I will be recommending them to all of my family and friends.”— Robert Smith
Few things in life are more tragic and devastating to a family than the untimely and unexpected death of a loved one. This is especially true when the person has a surviving spouse or children who financially depend on the person for income. But any time a person dies due to someone else’s wrongdoing, those who survive should be compensated for the loss. Contact our wrongful death lawyer in Charlottesville today.
For decades, the professional and compassionate wrongful death attorneys of Marks & Harrison have helped families affected by the wrongful death of a loved one. The choice of a Charlottesville wrongful death lawyer is extremely important. While no lawyer can guarantee a specific result, we are proud of our successes. If you have lost a loved one, contact us today to find out more about your rights. We will not charge for an initial consultation, and we will never take a fee unless we can recover compensation for you.
Charlottesville Wrongful Death Lawyer
Anytime someone is killed by the negligent or intentional conduct of another, the law considers the death “wrongful.” The surviving relatives have a right to bring a legal action to recover compensation. Examples of wrongful death lawsuits that Marks & Harrison can help with include:
- Car and motorcycle accidents – Distracted driving, drunk driving, fatigued driving and conduct such as speeding and aggressive driving can cause fatal crashes.
- Trucking accidents – Large trucking companies often commit negligence by hiring unfit or unqualified drivers and by failing to maintain their equipment.
- Premises liability claims – Property owners have a responsibility to keep their property in a safe condition. When they fail to do so, serious injuries can result that may lead to a victim’s death.
- Medical malpractice – Medical errors claim the lives of hundreds of thousands of people every year. If you’ve lost a loved one due to a negligent healthcare provider, we want to help.
- Nursing home abuse and neglect – While it may seem unthinkable that a caregiver or nursing facility would abuse or neglect a senior under their care, the truth is that it happens every day in Charlottesville and throughout Virginia.
- Dog attacks – While most dog attacks are minor and result in only superficial injuries, some dog attacks can be fatal. When this happens, our attorneys will fight to hold the dog owner accountable.
Our wrongful death law firm has handled complex cases involving falls from balconies, cases involving reckless public transportation companies and even government agencies. In a car accident, the responsible party may be a drunk or distracted driver, or it may be the driver’s employer. On the other hand, in a medical malpractice case, the responsible party could be anyone from a doctor who failed to follow the appropriate standards of their profession to a hospital that failed to implement proper protocols.
No matter what your case involves, the sooner you call an attorney, the better your chances of success will be. So, don’t wait too long to get help. At Marks & Harrison, we have locations throughout the state to better serve you. From our Charlottesville office, we accept clients throughout the region who are facing the devastating impact of an unexpected wrongful death.
Who Can Bring a Wrongful Death Lawsuit in Charlottesville?
Virginia law defines who can recover compensation in a wrongful death lawsuit. In general, the person who is listed as the “plaintiff” is the person responsible for prosecuting the claim. However, the following individuals may be entitled to compensation:
- Other dependent relatives of the decedent.
How Long Do I Have to Bring a Lawsuit for Wrongful Death in Charlottesville?
Under Virginia law, you have only two years from the date that your loved one died in order to bring a lawsuit. If you fail to act on time, your rights will be forever lost. For this reason, it is extremely important to contact a wrongful death lawyer in Charlottesville as soon as you suspect that the death was caused by someone else’s negligence.
At Marks & Harrison, we understand that many prospective clients may be apprehensive or worried about consulting an attorney. After all, you may not be sure that the death was wrongful. You may be worried about bringing a lawsuit. You may also be worried about paying for an attorney.
The good news is that there is no obligation or risk for just speaking to an attorney. We can set your mind at ease and provide valuable information about how much time you have to bring a claim. We may also consult with highly knowledgeable experts about your case.
What Kind of Compensation Is Available in a Virginia Wrongful Death Case?
While every case is unique, and results will vary from case to case, you generally can claim the following damages in a wrongful death lawsuit in Virginia:
- Medical bills incurred by the estate or by surviving family members – Family members often bear much of the burden of paying for medical expenses. Likewise, the decedent’s estate may incur large debts due to final medical costs that were caused trying to save the person’s life.
- Loss of financial support from income or public benefits – When the deceased individual leaves behind young children or a spouse, the loss of income can be particularly troubling.
- Funeral and burial costs – You can claim reasonable and necessary expenses associated with putting your loved one to rest.
- Out-of-pocket expenses incurred by you and your family – In most situations, surviving family members incur a variety of expenses like traveling to distant specialists for a loved one’s treatment or staying over at hotels near a specialty hospital out of town. In many cases, these costs can also be recovered.
- Your own loss of companionship and society (sorrow and emotional anguish). The damages sought in a wrongful death claim should also include compensation for the emotional toll it can exact on surviving family members. Fortunately, the law allows you to seek compensation for this harm as well.
In rare cases, you may be able to seek punitive damages. These damages are usually awarded in situations where the negligence was so reckless or careless that damages should be awarded in order to deter future misconduct and punish the defendant.
How Can a Charlottesville Wrongful Death Attorney Help Me?
At Marks & Harrison, our Charlottesville wrongful death lawyers will handle everything from start to finish in your case, including:
- Thoroughly investigating the facts – Our team of highly skilled investigators will get to work fast on your case and gather important evidence. Our investigation team includes former insurance and law enforcement personnel who know where to look to uncover the truth.
- Consult with experts – Whether your case involves a complicated medical error or a construction site fatality, we can work closely with medical specialists, engineers, and other industry leaders to determine how and why the accident occurred that caused the loss of your loved one.
- Perform a skillful negotiation – Once our team determines how the death occurred and who is responsible, we will demand a settlement from the insurance company (or companies). We will protect your rights and stand up for you throughout negotiations.
- Represent you at trial – In many wrongful death cases in Charlottesville, litigation is necessary. We will handle all of the procedural and legal matters for you and provide careful counsel right through trial. You can always rest easy knowing that you have a team of skilled legal professionals on your side.
Get Help from Our Charlottesville Wrongful Death Attorneys Today
For more than a century, the attorneys of Marks & Harrison have protected the rights of families in Charlottesville and throughout Virginia who have experienced the wrongful death of a loved one. Contact us by phone or online today to discuss how we can help you.