- On This Page
- Get a Free Consultation
- What Our Clients Say
“They sent somebody to visit me in the hospital and get my side of the story (totally free). I was assigned Mr. Crawford and told that we had a case. Fast forward about 9 months later and I received literally 14x what the insurance company had offered me. This is after the lawyer and medical fees as well. So basically this was totally free and I barely had to do anything I am so glad I called Marks and Harrison and I will be recommending them to all of my family and friends.”— Robert Smith
Traumatic brain injury can be devastating. If you or a loved one has suffered TBI, then you know how it can change everything about us in a matter of seconds, including how we think, act and feel.
It is important to protect your legal rights if you have suffered a life-changing injury such as TBI due to the wrongful acts of another. Contacting an experienced Richmond personal injury lawyer with experience in TBI litigation is an important first step.
The attorneys of Marks & Harrison understand the legal and medical complexities involved in these cases. Our past work includes:
- $11 million (Loudon County Circuit Court) – The case involved a young woman who sustained brain injury in a crash with a service van.
- $10 million (City of Richmond Circuit Court) – We obtained a recovery for a city employee who received serious and permanent brain and head injuries in a collision with a Norfolk Southern boxcar with faulty brakes.
- $3.8 million (City of Richmond Circuit Court) – Our client received brain injuries in a crash with a cement mixer.
The result that can be obtained in a specific brain injury case will depend on a number of different factors. Past results do not guarantee or predict a similar result in a future case. It is important to meet with us to discuss the unique factors in your case.
Call Marks & Harrison today or connect with us online. We can provide a free consultation and put our legal team on your case right away. We serve clients in Richmond and from offices located throughout Virginia.
Signs and Symptoms of a Traumatic Brain Injury
When a person suffers severe traumatic brain injury, the extent of the damage is throughout the brain. The victim may fall into a coma or prolonged vegetative state. Life-threatening complications may arise.
In many cases, a person may suffer a mild or moderate form of TBI such as a concussion or an injury that impacts only part of the brain. However, a victim may not realize the extent or seriousness of the injury that he or she has suffered. For this reason, you should always go to the emergency room or see your family doctor after you have been in an accident of any type.
Pay close attention to whether you or a loved one is showing these common signs and symptoms of TBI:
- Loss of consciousness
- Loss of coordination
- Vision problems
- Sensitivity to light
- Ringing in the ears
- Speech problems (such as slurring of words)
- Concentration problems
- Behavioral problems (including depression, anxiety and mood swings).
A doctor may put you through a series of tests that include an X-ray, MRI or CT scan. Treatment may include surgery, rehabilitation, and ongoing therapy. Medication may also be required to deal with the effects of TBI.
An insurance claim or lawsuit would seek recovery of all medical expenses you have incurred for care and treatment of TBI as well as all future costs, including any nursing care that may be needed. Compensation would also be pursued to account for lost income and diminished future earning capacity as well as pain and suffering.
How Our Head Injury Lawyers Help TBI Victims in Virginia
A traumatic brain injury case can be challenging. It requires conducting a thorough and efficient investigation into how a victim suffered the injury and who should be held legally accountable, or liable. It also demands a careful analysis of the nature of the injury and how it has impacted the life of the TBI victim and his or her loved ones.
At Marks & Harrison, we can put the full extent of our resources to work for you. We work with an experienced team of investigators. We also hire accident reconstruction experts and forensic engineers to help us to evaluable liability.
Additionally, we consult with doctors, nurses, vocational rehabilitation professionals and forensic economists to determine the amount that should be sought in past and future medical costs as well as lost past and future earnings.
We also seek input from psychologists and others on the pain and suffering, emotional loss and impaired mental functioning that you or a loved one has suffered due to traumatic brain injury.
We understand the challenges that TBI victims and their families face. If your life has been altered by a brain injury that arose through no fault of your own, our goal will be to seek the maximum amount of compensation in your case.
Types of Traumatic Brain Injury Cases We Handle
It helps to work with a law firm that has experience with the many different types of cases in which traumatic brain injury can be sustained. We can assist those who have suffered TBI in cases involving:
- Falls – As the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reports, falls are the leading cause of TBI in our country. We can assist those who have suffered a brain injury due to a slip and fall, a fall at work or a fall that occurs due to nursing home abuse and neglect.
- Motor vehicle accidents – Car, truck, and motorcycle accidents are the second-leading cause of TBI in the U.S., the CDC states. The impact of a crash can result in a blow to the head or a violent jolt that damages brain tissue and nerves.
- Workplace accidents – In addition to suffering TBI due to a fall from a roof, ladder or scaffolding at a construction site, a worker may be harmed by falling tools, material or equipment. Our firm can assist with seeking workers’ compensation benefits or, in some cases, personal injury damages through a third-party liability claim.
- Medical malpractice – We focus on helping families to cope with TBI that is caused by medical negligence during the delivery of a child. A child may suffer permanent disability due to such birth injuries.
- Military service – Many veterans must cope with a disability caused by brain injuries they suffered during their service to our country. We can help with seeking veterans’ benefits and other forms of relief.
- Sports and recreation accidents – All too often, our children suffer concussions and other forms of TBI due to improper management of the injury by coaches, trainers, and athletic directors. We can assist with holding negligent parties accountable.
Marks & Harrison can also assist with seeking Social Security Disability benefits that may be available to those suffering from a brain injury-related disability that keeps them from being able to work.
Get Help from an Experience Virginia Traumatic Brain Injury Attorney, Today!
If you or someone close to you has suffered a TBI, the Richmond brain injury lawyers at Marks & Harrison can help you to seek all personal injury damages and disability benefits you are due. We have been voted “Best Law Firm in Richmond” 2015-2019 “RTD The Best” by readers of the Richmond Times-Dispatch, and we can serve clients from offices throughout Virginia. Contact us today and get started with a free consultation.