What can I do if my employer denies my workers’ compensation claim?

If your employer (or its workers’ compensation insurer) rejects your claim for medical and/or lost-wage benefits, you should speak with a lawyer right away about filing a claim with the Virginia Workers’ Compensation Commission (WCC).

You must file a claim with the WCC within two years after the date of your workplace accident resulting in an injury. So, it is important to move quickly if your employer has denied your claim.

An attorney can help you with filing a claim and with requesting a hearing before the WCC. The attorney can also represent you at the hearing and present evidence to help the WCC make its decision on your claim, including medical records and testimony by medical experts.

If your claim is denied by the WCC, your attorney can help you with filing a written request for a review by the WCC or with any further appeals.

In many cases, an attorney can represent you in mediation that is aimed at resolving your claim without the need for a hearing.